The Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) develops the recommendations in the Australian Immunisation Handbook. ATAGI advises the Australian Minister for Health on the Immunise Australia Program and other vaccine-related issues. ATAGI’s membership includes technical experts, immunisation nurses, a consumer representative and general practitioners.
Other contributions to the Handbook:
- The National Centre for Immunisation Research & Surveillance of Vaccine Preventable Diseases provides technical support for ATAGI.
- ATAGI consults members of each of its current disease-based working parties.
- Other peak advisory groups — in particular, the National Immunisation Committee and the Communicable Diseases Network Australia — provide valuable input.
- The National Health and Medical Research Council approves the recommendations (under s. 14A of the National Health and Medical Research Council Act 1992).
- Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation
- acquired immunodeficiency syndrome