NICC 2.0 is available on the Immunisation Handbook website
A brand new version of the National Immunisation Catch-up Calculator (NICC) is coming soon and will be available from the Immunisation Handbook website.
To date, the NICC has only supported healthy children under the age of 10. The new version (2.0) includes support for
- all children under the age of 10, including medically at-risk groups, and
- improved support for children who may have been vaccinated overseas.
A number of exciting improvements have been made to the NICC based on feedback we have received from health professionals. New features include, but are not limited to:
- Ability to group antigens due where applicable (for instance DTPa-polio-hepb-hib, MMR-V, HepA-HepB etc.). We believe this will help health professionals make informed decisions more efficiently.
- Ability to display age-appropriate Australian vaccines due where applicable. Previously, Infanrix Hexa was the only vaccine brand name displayed. We believe this will help health professionals make informed decisions more efficiently, and minimise or eliminate risks.
- Ability to view/download the business rules which underpin the NICC (similar to the due and over due rules from the Australian Immunisation Register). We believe this will make things transparent, and issues if any can be identified and fixed in a more timely manner.
- Ability to display age at future appointments. We believe this will help both the health professionals and the parents reconcile the catch-up schedule generated by the NICC with the National Immunisation Program (NIP) schedule.
- Refinements to task model and the information regarding the person needing catch-up being asked. We believe this will improve efficiency by reducing the time taken to complete the form.
- Refinements to the user interface, and overall user experience.
- Much improved testing capability to proactively identify, isolate and fix errors or defects, if any.
What else is coming up
We will continue to scale up and expand the NICC to all ages by adding more cohorts in increments. Very soon, we will be able to extend the NICC to support 'all people under 20'.
How you can help
We are always looking for volunteers to help us improve the NICC. Involvement includes, but is not limited to:
- Periodically reviewing the NICC business rules for currency and accuracy
- Participating in pre-release and/or user acceptance testing of the NICC
- Participating in research activities (online surveys, interviews, workshops etc.)
If you are interested in participating in any of the above activities, please contact us.
As always, if you see something, say something. Use the provide feedback form to inform us about defects and feature requests. You're feedback helps us improve.