See the Australian Immunisation Handbook for a list of medical conditions in each category.
Check the person’s vaccination history to make sure they are up to date with their recommended childhood pneumococcal vaccines.
Category A medical conditions are conditions associated with the highest increased risk of invasive pneumococcal disease. Children and adolescents with Category A medical conditions are recommended to receive:
- 1 dose of 13vPCV (exception: haematopoietic stem cell transplant (HSCT) recipients, who need 3 doses of 13vPCV instead of 1 dose)
- 1st dose of 23vPPV ≥2 months later
- 2nd dose of 23vPPV ≥5 years later
- 3rd dose of 23vPPV about 10 years later
Category B medical conditions are conditions associated with an increased risk of invasive pneumococcal disease. Children and adolescents with Category B medical conditions are recommended to receive:
- 1st dose of 23vPPV
- 2nd dose of 23vPPV 5–10 years later
Extra doses of 13vPCV are not recommended in this group.
1 dose of 23vPPV is funded under the National Immunisation Program for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged between 15 and 49 years.
See the Australian Immunisation Handbook for more details.
These files may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
- 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine
- haematopoietic stem cell transplant
- 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine
Printed content may be out of date. For up to date information, always refer to the digital version: https://immunisationhandbook.health.gov.au/resources/publications/pneumococcal-vaccination-for-children-5-years-and-adults-with-medical.